||I initially worked with embellished fabric pieces, but I work primarily in acrylics now. My painting style could be called..surreal realism. Working with words, phrases, popular idioms and the like, I portray the everyday spoken language as if in a dream. Symbolism comes into play a great deal the, obvious and veiled.
Researching word history and origins of common phrases, as well as the usage of them gives me my subject matter to work with.
I am basically self-taught, living in the Yukon does have it's disadvantages, although few. However, I've taken courses at the Edinburgh College of Art in Textiles and Colour, and have worked on my own for years.
Language and visual art are inextricably linked of course, you can't have one without the other..to inspire,
stimulate and move us all.
"Every picture tells a story"
Shelley Hakonson from Corinne and Gary Funk on Vimeo.
Lonely Planet, British Columbia and Yukon 2004
Ryan Ver Berkmoes and Graham Neale"
This small but bright and open space shows local works. If you have a chance to see the incredible works of Shelley Hakonson, you're in for a treat. Defying categorizations this Dawson native's whimsical assemblages could be and should be shown in major galleries." Odd Gallery, Dawson City, YT, 2nd Ave. and Princess:
- Agora Gallery, New York
Beyond Borders, Exhibition of Fine Art from Canada
- Out of Order – Dawson City, Yukon
- Spirit Gallery – Juneau, Alaska
- Light Show - Yukon Arts Centre, Whitehorse, Yukon
- Art Extravaganza – Tr’ondek Hwech’in Cultural Centre, Dawson City, Yukon 2000
- New Beginnings – Odd Gallery, Dawson City, Yukon
- Confluence Gallery – Dawson City, Yukon
- Kimono Dreams – Yukon Arts Centre, Whitehorse, Yukon
- Hakonson, A Family Smorgasbord, Dawson City Museum 2009
- Biennial DCAS members exhibition, "Mining the Archives." Dawson City, YT, Jan. 24th - Feb.22 2013
- Guild Galerie 240, A Celebration of the Opening of Guild 240 ,Ottawa. March 3rd 2013
- "Have a Heart" An exhibition of heart-themed paintings for World Blood Donor day
Galerie 240, Ottawa, June 14th to August 20th, 2012
- "The Women in My Life", October 2011
" An engaging and symbolic show of history, legend and myth, Shelley Hakonson tells the stories of the women in her life through beautiful mixed-media creations."
Galerie 240, 240 Guigues Ave. Ottawa
- Vodou Influences – Savannah Gallery – Anguilla, British West Indies, March 2000
- Artefacts – Odd Gallery, Dawson City, Yukon. 2003
- Fortymile Gallery, Dawson City, Yukon
- Galerie 240, Ottawa, Ontario